Monday 3 October 2011

Could my mind and body please join forces?

It seems an appropriate time to make this post, since a few days ago I made a post about what is health, and my collage combined elements of physical and mental health. 

It seems I can never get the two (body and mind) healthy at the same time.  When this 12WBT started, my mind wasn't in the right place, even though my body was fine (for the most part - I have some ongoing health issues).  Now, I'm in the right mindset, and I'm injured. 

The Friday night before my birthday (23rd) I had a bit of an accident and hurt my ribs.  I thought they were just bruised, although I joked at the time "I feel like I have a cracked rib".... well turns out it wasn't a joke.  They felt ok for a few days, a bit tender, but they have since been getting progressively worse.  I had actually been keeping up with the exercise this week, so it's possible that made things worse.  Anyway, I went to my doctor Saturday morning (I didn't think it was severe enough to warrant a trip to hospital), and she wants me to get an x-ray tomorrow morning (today is a public holiday) or go to the hospital if the pain gets worse.  The problem is, whether they are cracked or bruised, the treatment is the same - rest, painkillers, and icing the area. 

So I left with a prescription for painkillers and feeling frustrated and impatient - I only have three weeks until my tonsillectomy and I know I want be able to exercise for a little while after that, so I wanted to make the most of the time up until then.

I know the main part of losing weight is nutrition, but when I can't exercise, rather than being extra diligent on my nutrition, I tend to slip a bit, thinking "well, I can't exericse, I won't be losing the weight I want anyway".

Hopefully the x-ray tomorrow will be all clear, and my ribs will start to feel better sooner rather than later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment